Saturday, October 30, 2010

Beware!



I made these cute.....uh I mean SCARY (BOO) little Coffin Treat boxes for my teenage granddaughters (plus one of their friend's who lives here part time) & for my daughter (cuz she'll always be my little teenager...heeheehee) . They absolutely flipped over them. I got the template & tut from Martha Stewart crafts HERE. I used double sided cardstock so I wouldn't have to wait for glue to dry. LOL I am sooooo impatient.

This is the inside of the 'coffin'.......(lid is propped up on the left side). Of course these were full of chocolate..........their FAVorite thing in all the world.....LOL.



I got this idea from the amazingly talented Jodie from Oz. Check out her cute Coffin Treat Box here. And while you're at it.....browse around the rest of her site.......you will be amazed.......her cards & creations are stunning! Thanks Jodie!!!

So if it's toooooo late to make these for your cute little Trick or Treaters this year.........be sure to bookmark this page. I'll also try to remember to post this a bit earlier next year.

I also made my usual Blessing Mix. It is a traditional Thanksgiving recipe but for my family......it just wouldn't be Halloween without it. I've used variations of this recipe throughout the years. I used to add pretzels but my crew is sick of pretzels. LOL So I just use Bugles, Goldfish crackers, peanut M&M's & honey roasted peanuts. I didn't add the candy corn either cuz I think we've had just about enough. LOL I've had a little 'candy corn' shaped bowl on the kitchen counter for at least 2 weeks now. So we're "over it". LOL

Here's the original yummy recipe for you.......

2 cups Bugles brand corn snacks
2 cups small pretzels
1 cup candy corn
1 cup dried fruit bits or raisins
1 cup peanuts or sunflower seeds
1 cup M&Ms-brand chocolate candy
16 Hershey's-brand chocolate kisses

You can put these in little treat bags or just ziploc bags cuz it will be gone lickety split. LOL It makes for such a nice treat. So whatever you add or delete from the list (I saw one variation that used 'red hots' instead of 'candy corn').......just make it your own family tradition. Your family will thank you for it. My family would cry their little eyes out if I didn't make it. LOL

For those interested in the symbolism behind the traditional American Blessing Mix.........

BUGLES: Shaped like a Cornucopia or Horn Of Plenty - A symbol of our Nation's abundance
PRETZELS: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by the founders of our country
CANDY CORN: Sacrifices of the Pilgrim's first winter. Food was so scarce that the settlers survived on just a few kernels of corn per day.
NUT OR SEEDS: Promise of a future harvest, one will reap only if seeds are planted and tended to with diligence
DRIED FRUITS : Harvest gifts of our bountiful land
M&Ms: Memories of those who came before us to guide us to a blessed future
HERSHEY'S KISS: The love of family and friends that sweetens our lives.

I also made some traditional Rice Krispie treats to balance out all the chocolate. LOL Can you tell we love sweets. LOL

Have a happy & safe Halloween!

Huggies & Blessings ~♥♥♥~

6 comments:

Annika said...

These are uber cool and look like LOADS of work!! And your recipe sounds yummy - although deadly for my hips!!
Hugs
Annika

Hugz~Dixie said...

I agree they do look like you spent hours on them, but the are adorable.

PeggyLovesVintage said...

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds so yummy! The coffins are really cute, I bet the teenagers loved them!

Christina C. said...

Your coffin treat boxes are awesome...wish I had some grandchildren!!!!

charlene said...

Hey Sis thanks for the great recipe I thought I had left you some love here LOL must have been on the board....Great job
Love ya bunches

Leslie Anne Avila said...

Such a cute project. I agree with Annika comment about how they look like a load of work lol labor of love, for sure! I love your American blessing mix. Ultra fabulous!
Hugs,
Leslie Avila